African Human Rights System in Comparative Perspectives Course
Course date: 30 October - 3 November 2017
The Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, will host a one-week intensive short course on African Human Rights System in Comparative Perspectives Course from 30 October to 3 November 2017.
Graduate Centre, University of Pretoria Main Campus
About the course
The course focuses on regional human rights norms and its application in Africa.
The course covers issues such as:
- A general introduction to human rights law and the role players in the development and enforcement of human rights norms in Africa
- The United Nations system
- Human rights treaties and their status in Africa
- European human rights systems
- Inter-American human rights systems
- The African Union and human rights
- The African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights as well as the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights
The course fee is ZAR 3 000.00 (US $ 450). This fee covers tuition, course materials, teas and lunch for the duration of the course. The fee excludes transport and accommodation costs.
A limited number of partial scholarships are available.
Applicants must indicate on the on-line application form
whether they wish to apply for a scholarship and provide sufficient motivation substantiating why they require financial assistance.
Applicants must also indicate whether they would still like to be considered for admission in the event that they are not granted a scholarship.
Course Materials (2012)