The 7th Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition will be held at OHCHR headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland from 8-10 December 2015
The annual Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition was first held in 2009 at the University of Pretoria and is hosted by the Centre for Human Rights with support from various donors. Held over a four day period, it brings together undergraduate law students from all over the world, who argue a hypothetical human rights problem.
This year the 7th Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition will be held from 8 - 10 December 2015 at the OHCHR headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, in collaboration with the Regional Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Southern Africa (ROSA) and OHCHR, Geneva.
About the Competition
The Competition is open to undergraduate students from all institutions of tertiary education in the world. Participation in the competition is not restricted to law students, but it is expected that in most cases the teams participating in this event will be comprised of students who study law.
The final is organised on 10 December, the day of the Celebration of the Human Rights Day. The Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition is organised in partnership with the Regional Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Southern Africa (ROSA).
For more information, please contact the Nelson Mandela World Moot Court Competition Coordinator, Thuto Hlalele, preferably by email at
Open 1 April 2015
Close 31 July 2015
- Release of hypothetical case to be argued
1 June 2015
- Request for clarification of facts
Submit by 30 June2015
- Response to requests for clarification of facts
15 July 2015
- Submission of memorials
1 September 2015
- Announcement of pre-finalist teams
1 October 2015
- Confirmation of travel details
1 November 2015
- Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
in partnership with
- Geneva Centre for Human Rights Advancement and Global Dialogue
- Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights
- University of Lucerne, Chair of Comparative and Anglo-American Law / Lucerne Academy for Human Rights Implementation
with the financial support of
- Mission Permanente de la Suisse auprès des Nations Unies à Genève
- Permanent Mission of Ireland to the United Nations in Geneva
- Permanent Mission of South Africa to the United Nations in Geneva
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid bin Ra'ad at the 6th Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition (2014)
Ashna Taneja (University of New South Wales, Australia) arguing for the Respondent in the Final Round (2014)